This is my 101st post on this blog. Some people celebrate 100 posts by listing 100 things about themselves. Since I’m me, I’ve decided to take it a slightly different direction and list 101 food “quirks”– my likes, dislikes and all around weird habits. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but gives you a little peek into the weirdness that is me!
1. I don’t like my food to touch.
2. I like cheese. I like chicken. I do not like cheese on chicken.
3. Similarly, I like cheese. I like peanut butter. But I do not like them together. Those little cheese and PB crackers are especially problematic.
4. As a rule, I don’t eat white, creamy foods such as sour cream, cream cheese, whipped cream, etc. I’ll occasionally eat mayonnaise and I can handle some of these things mixed in. Just not on their own.
5. I won’t eat eggs unless they’re made at home.
6. I can’t stand breakfast skillets.
7. I often ask for a 2nd plate at a restaurant so that I can pick off all the stuff I don’t like and separate it. Also good for ensuring non-touching food.
8. I only like French dressing that is red. The orange variety scares me.
9. I always eat the topping off my pizza first. Topping, cheese, then crust (preferabbly with a fork if it’s deep dish)
10. I cannot stand mushrooms. I’ve tried to like them, but I just can’t.
11. I don’t eat any form of fried fish.
12. I don’t like “meat on plate.” I don’t really eat that much meat to begin with, but the idea of a slab of meat just sitting there grosses me out. I will occasionally have a steak or pork chops, but very rarely.
13. I hate almost all picnic food– potato salad, bean salad, macaroni salad, chicken salad, egg salad. This is probably tied to my dislike of white, creamy foods. I can eat vinegar-based pasta salads, sometimes.
14. I don’t like Mexican restaurants.
15. I don’t like Chinese restaurants, but I like Thai food. And Japanese food. And Vietnamese food.
16. I don’t like most cooked vegetables, especially carrots and green peppers. I’ll eat green peppers in stir fry.
17. I love almost all raw vegetables.
18. I don’t drink milk. Ever. I’ll use it in cooking if I have to. And I’ll put the tiniest bit on my cereal, but I cannot stand the taste of milk.
19. I don’t drink brown soda before noon. If I absolutely have to drink soda in the morning, I’ll have Sprite or Fresca or something.
20. I literally cannot live without peanut butter.
21. I eat stir fry 3-4 times a week. Even though I don’t usually like food that touches.
22. I’m allergic to fresh tomatoes, but can eat them cooked.
23. I like sushi.
24. I never salt my food. Ever. I can taste the slightest bit of salt in things and I don’t like it.
25. I cannot pass up a milkshake. Except from a fast food place. Those are gross.
26. I can’t stand iceberg lettuce.
27. Potato buds + can of chicken noodle soup = instant comfort food.
28. I love frozen marshmallows.
29. The mere sight of egg yolks grosses me out. I especially can’t stand when people dip things in them (i.e. toast)
30. I like almost all fruit. Except blueberries. I only like them in muffins.
31. I love bananas, but can’t stand anything banana-flavored.
32. I prefer fruity snacks– Twizzlers, gummi bears, fruit sorbet, Skittles, Starburst– over sweet treats.
33. I only like store-bought cake. Homeade cake just doesn’t do it for me.
34. I despise chilli.
35. I just recently started eating beans, but I refuse to eat re-fried beans.
36. I don’t like hummus or chickpeas
37. I do like lentils
38. I don’t like avocados or guacamole
39. I love ice cream, but I don’t like ice cream bars. The hard chocolate coating grosses me out.
40. When I’m at home, I use a bowl for almost everything. I rarely use plates.
41. I don’t really like tunafish. Or casseroles. Or mushrooms, but I like my mom’s tuna noodle casserole, which contains both of these things.
42. My grandma makes great homemade black raspberry pie, but my mom’s cherry pie is my favorite.
43. I despise pumpkin pie.
44. I despise yams and sweet potatoes, but I’ll eat sweet potato fries in a pinch.
45. I love to eat raw dough—bread dough, pie dough, cookie dough, batters, etc.
46. I like a lot of seafood, but I’ll only eat two types of shrimp: cocktail and popcorn (highly breaded and fried)
47. My mom used to make us “walking salad” when we were younger: Mix peanut butter and grape jelly together. Roll it up in a lettuce leaf. Sounds disgusting, but we loved it.
48. I hate onion rings.
49. I love corn dogs.
50. I refuse to eat at buffets. I’ll do a salad bar, but that’s as far as I’ll go.
51. I don’t like meat in my pasta sauce. Unless my mom makes it.
52. I can’t stand tomato juice. For this reason, I do not drink Bloody Marys.
53. I don’t like coconut or coconut-flavored anything. Pina Coladas are OUT.
54. I’m not a huge fan of “girly” drinks—daiquiris, margaritas, etc.
55. I prefer red wine over white and I prefer dry wine over sweet.
56. I can’t stand Kahlua or Baileys. I think it’s related to my dislike of creamy things and milk.
57. I do, however, LOVE chocolate milk.
58. I only drink “good” draft beer. Bud Light or Miller Lite from a keg makes me gag.
59. I love macaroni and cheese: homemade, Kraft powder, Kraft Shells and Cheese, Deluxe. But not with bacon. Or broccoli. Or tuna. Yuk.
60. I don’t like ranch dressing. The only way I’ll eat it is on baby carrots.
61. I love the combination of coffee and chocolate. I use mocha-flavored Splenda in my coffee and my very favorite chocolate bar is flavored with espresso.
62. Peanut Butter Capt’n Crunch is my all-time favorite cereal.
63. Honey Nut Cheerios or Raisin Bran are my favorite ‘grown up’ cereals.
64. 9 times out of 10, I’ll order French toast if I go out for breakfast. The other time I’ll get biscuits and gravy.
65. I love toast: cinnamon toast, peanut butter and honey toast, butter toast, jelly toast.
66. My favorite juices are (in order): cranberry, grape, pomegranate, apple, orange (w/o pulp. I refuse to drink pulp.)
67. I hate olives. I don’t really like olive oil that much, either, but I’ll use it if I have to.
68. I don’t like fried dough– donuts, elephant ears, funnel cakes. All gross to me.
69. I don’t really like powdered sugar, either… come to think of it. But, I’ll eat powdered donuts. Odd.
70. Fat-free cheese should be outlawed.
71. I rarely order burgers at restaurants. The exception is the Kobe burger at Farren’s.
72. If there’s one of the following on a menu, I’m likely to order it: grilled chicken sandwich, club sandwich, chicken fingers, mixed green salad with blue cheese, walnuts, and strawberries (certainly there’s a fancier name for this– every restaurant has some version on it’s menu.)
73. Going out for tapas is one of my favorite things in the world. Believe it or not, I love trying new things. I just don’t want to commit to them if I don’t like it!
74. My ultimate candy bar/soda combo is a Snickers bar and Mountain Dew (well, now it’s usually Snickers minis and a Diet Dewski– getting old and fat sucks)
75. I like my bananas GREEN. Like REALLY green. Like still kinda hard on the inside.
76. I like sausage links, but not patties.
77. I only eat bacon if it is super extra crispy.
78. Same goes for thin crust pizza. I always order it “well done.”
79. When I was younger, I didn’t like cake or pie, so I would eat a BOWL of Cool Whip. Probably why I hate white creamy things.
80. I’ve been known to eat cold hot dogs.
81. I like sugar on my cottage cheese.
82. I also like chives in my cottage cheese.
83. I L-O-V-E brat burgers with mustard.
84. My friends make fun of me because I often show up to gatherings with unprepared food (i.e. uncut cheese and crackers)
85. I like to eat stale Cheetos (the puffy kind, not crunchy)
86. My favorite Easter candy is Peeps. I like to leave them out so they get stale.
87. I love those little orange and black peanut butter taffy things they have at Halloween time.
88. I like having breakfast food for dinner.
89. I don’t eat crunchy peanut butter.
90. I like broth-based soups, but not creamy soups.
91. I don’t eat hard-shelled tacos.
92. My mom’s lasagna is my favorite food ever.
93. I only like green apples.
94. I can’t stand canned cranberry sauce.
95. My family eats cornbread IN milk. A glass of milk with a piece of cornbread in it. I refuse to eat this, but I love corn bread.
96. I can’t stand creamed corn.
97. I don’t eat cooked spinach, unless it’s in soup or stuffed in something.
98. I love everything gummy… and everything sour. Sour gummy worms are my favorite.
99. I like those orange circus peanut things.
100. I order my steak medium rare
101. With the exception of wine, I really can’t eat and drink (alcohol) at the same time.