A friend of mine posted this picture on facebook today. It was taken during my freshman year in college… almost 11 years ago.
This picture makes me think of a lot of things: Yeah, I look *super* young… and there’s a poster of Leonardo DiCaprio on the wall. And, wait… is that stereo on CINDER blocks?
More than the nostalgia factor, though, it makes me remember how much I loved college… and how “green” I was back then. What would I I change if I knew then what I know now? Don’t get me wrong– I had a *great* college experience. But I definitely would’ve done things differently.
Dear Cari, age 18:
Enjoy college. Even though it might not always seem like it, these are some of the best years of your life.
- Don’t get too hung up on what you’re “missing” back home. Those friends will always be there.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things– no one is judging you.
- Don’t stress out too much– it’s just school.
- Don’t worry too much about what looks good on a resume– the ‘real world’ isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
- Don’t give up your friends for some guy. Go to the party instead. It will last longer.
- But don’t go to that party at Purdue. Trust me–it’s not going to be fun.
Seriously, have fun. You’re gonna miss it someday.
Cari, age 29 (almost 30-for real!)
P.S: Ryan and Jo totally fall in love and get married. Seriously…. just give it time.