Some of you might remember that a while back, I re-connected with my college friend Jessie via facebook. (Don’t remember? Read this post!)
Well, On Thursday, I was lucky enough to re-connect with Jess in person–after 10 years!! She was in Chicago visiting family, so our friend Kelly and I drove in to meet her.
We had some beer, some Chicago-style pizza and lots and lots of laughs. We were able to reminisce about the “good ole” days and I was able to meet her partner Kirsten, who is a doll.
The only thing missing from this reunion was our other friend (and now my sister-in-law) Jo. She lives in Southern Illinois and couldn’t get off work, but we called her so that she could at least feel like she was part of the festivities.
Here’s to old friends!!
Kirsten and Jess
Kelly and I-- self-portrait!
The girls of Hewett 6 (minus Jo)
group shot self-portrait: Kelly, Cari, Jess, Kirsten
How does your garden grow??
Well, we’ll see. Operation: Get a Green Thumb is underway.
A couple weeks ago my mom, brother and sister-in-law came to help me plant flowers. And by “help” I mean they did it all for me. My mom researched and bought a pre-planned assortment of plants.
Mom and Ryan getting started
Jo puts the plants in order
working the dirt (as I take pictures)
Roxie gets in on the action
Ryan fixed a broken fence post
gardening is DIRTY work!
I spent a bunch of time working outside this weekend. Stay tuned for more pictures of the progress!
The title of this post obviously comes from a nursery rhyme. But it also reminds me of my friend’s brother who, when we were about 8 or so made up this little ditty:
Cari, Cari, Quite Contrary
Shave those armpits
Oh so hairy
but I *LOVE* re-reading my old blog posts. I totally forget some of the things I’ve done/said/thought/saw.
Then again, I like looking at old pictures of myself, too. I think that “you’re so vain” song must be about me.
Regular blogging to resume shortly.
It’s official: Roxie is a killer.
Last night, I got back from my run and left the door propped open for Roxie so she could go outside and play while I was on the phone (or pee or whatever she does out there). I heard a loud squeak and thought maybe she had found one of her toys in the yard. And then I heard it again and thought maybe it was her squeaking.
I go outside to take a peek and she’s “playing” with something… something alive! I think it’s a mouse, so I try not to look. Then realize it’s a baby bunny. Roxie is pawing at it and then puts it in her mouth. She is so proud.
I couldn’t bear to watch, so I go back inside…. But here’s a post-mortem shot of Roxie’s latest victim:
It took two Ziplock bags, a garden spade and lots of gagging for me to properly dispose of him. RIP little buddy…
Posted in Uncategorized
Lisa was kind enough to post some photos of our Minneapolis trip, so I’ve decided to do like they do with DVDs and offer some “never before seen” bonus features:
Ate some killer Malaysian food in MPLS. Heard a great (albeit very broken) story about a fire in a Malaysian place in Chicago.
Drinking a pomegranate concoction at the Malaysian place. Lisa got a Woo-Woo
Witnessed and responded to an on-the-job accident. Not real common in my line of work.
Sign warning us that such accidents may occur. Taken well after said accident
Took a photo next to a statue of Mary Tyler Moore.
She turns the world on with her smile--post tipsy shopping and wine-fueled dinner.
Met (and held!) another newborn baby
Me holding Rush
Attended a baby shower and graduation party.
Check out the cute little flip-flops I got for Rush...
Lisa and I at the graduation party
I wish I had taken pix of the teacher freebie pandemonium and the Mexican wrestling. However, some things are better left to the imagination. A couple more points:
- The cucumber-flavored candy was unintentional. It was green, so I assumed it would be sour apple, or (at the worst) lime. It was only after the candy had been POURED into my mouth that I realized it was cucumber-flavored. I’d love to have a reaction shot of my face when I tasted it.
- The nickname story will have to be shared privately. Mostly because I really, really, really do not want it to stick!
I know the “too busy to blog” excuse is getting lame. But it’s true. I was hoping to write some proper blog posts, but since some of you like lists (shout out to Harley Quinn— I loved your last comment!), I figured I’d save myself the trouble of actually having to write anything.
In the last week and a half or so I:
- Witnessed masked Mexican wrestling in Chicago. It was awesome.
- Tasted cucumber-flavored candy. It was awful.
- Learned that you really can’t just miss your connecting flight or your entire ticket is invalidated.
- Re-booked my ticket. Twice.
- Got hit on by a Greek waiter in Chicago and a Mexican bar patron in Minneapolis.
- Spent entirely too much time on Sporcle. Finally learned the correct spelling of Kazakhstan. It comes in handy.
- Ate some killer Malaysian food in MPLS. Heard a great (albeit very broken) story about a fire in a Malaysian place in Chicago.
- Witnessed and responded to an on-the-job accident. Not real common in my line of work.
- Learned I like tamales.
- Congratulated a friend on her recent engagement. Yay Keem!
- Almost forgot, and then lost, and then found my journal/notebook.
- Saw Star Trek. Loved it, despite zero familiarity with the original. Reminded me a lot of Star Wars, actually. And Lost.
- Met (and held!) another newborn baby.
- Picked up a new nickname (which I’m trying HARD to not let stick).
- Ran my second 5K, less than a month after my first, with no iPod. After being gone for a week and out drinking the night before.
- Mowed my lawn immediately after the 5K. Bad idea.
- Learned that I was selected to be a Nielsen “family.” I can’t wait to report my 2.5 hours of TV watching a week.
- Improved my ability to ride public transportation.
- Received a comped dessert because dinner took so long. Waited about 20 mins for said dessert.
- Had multiple weird conversations about weight loss. Including one that started with “I hope you’re not offended, but…” Um, no, not offended!
- Took a photo next to a statue of Mary Tyler Moore.
- Met a friend’s new boyf.
- Spent Mother’s Day with my mom, brother, and sister-in-law. Against our advice, my mom insisted on having it at her house and making all the food.
- Ran in Chicago. Gave unsuspecting motorist directional advice. Felt really bad afterward.
- Attended a baby shower and graduation party.
- Received invitations to two other baby showers.
- Witnessed teachers literally FIGHTING over free books.
- Engaged in some tipsy shopping. Bought books and a belt between happy hour and an awesome wine-fueled dinner.
Things I haven’t done
- watched last week’s Lost
- slept, at least not much
Posted in drink, drinking, exercise, family, food, friends, lists, Lost, movies, pop culture, Random, travel
Tagged drinking, exercise, family, food, friends, Random, running, travel