I’m having kind of a crappy week.
There’s really nothing wrong, per se. I just haven’t really gotten back into the swing of things after vacation and my friend’s wedding (more on that later… promise). Plus, the weather has been kinda funky and I’m re-adjusting to living alone again (upside: more time for blogging!)
When I’m feeling yucky-for-no-reason, I like to think about all the nice things people have said to me. Sure, we all like to hear that we’re smart and good-looking, but there are a few things people have said to me that have “stuck.” In fact, I have a list:
- After telling a friend that I’d signed up for a writing class he said: “you’re such a do-er.” I took that as a compliment. I like being thought of as a do-er (as opposed to a “thinker” or a “complainer” or a “dreamer” I suppose).
- My co-worker Janet told me that she thinks I’m “one of those people who is out to change the world.” I like that, too.
- My boyfriend told me that my friends are lucky to have me in their lives and that I’m one of the most genuine people he has ever met. He also said I have nice ankles. He was joking about the ankles. I hope he wasn’t joking about the first part!
- One friend called me the best writer she knows. Another tagged me in a facebook thing-y as the smartest person she knows. I don’t know about best or smartest, but I like that people think I’m capable.
- About a million people told me I looked good in the pictures from the wedding. I’m not going to lie– that made me feel good, superficial or not!
UPDATE: I remembered two more: 1) someone once called me charming, which I think is a great word AND a great compliment b) someone also once told me that I was very well put-together. I disagree, but I’ll take it!!
Giving someone a genuine, heartfelt compliment is hard sometimes. It’s hard to know what will touch people and what will come off as insincere.
What are the best compliments you’ve ever received?
(and, please, this isn’t a Cari Pity Party post, I’m not fishing for compliments myself. Seriously)