Derby updates: Derby is pretty much consuming my life.
- We drafted a 3rd team, the Damagin’ Dames and got 2 great new players on our team.
- Our league is now a WFTDA Apprentice League. This is a big deal for a 7-month old league.
- We had our first intra-league scrimmage vs. the newbies from the Circle City Socialites. We WON! This is a super big deal for a bunch of people who had never really skated together and had zero idea what we were getting ourselves into.
- I bruised (and then re-bruised) my tailbone at the scrimmage. I also fell and bruised my hand pretty bad, but I’m okay. No serious injuries to report. Just a blow to the ego.
- We formed a travel team. I made the 20-skater roster. Our first practice was this past weekend and it was TOUGH, but fun.
- The first travel team bout is August 21 vs. The St. Chux Derby Chix (I’m in love with their logo). Only 14 out of the 20 players will dress, but I’ll be there whether I skate or not.
- Our next home bout is August 27 at the Savoy Rec Center. It’s my team (The ‘Paign) vs. the newly-formed Damagin’ Dames. I’ll let you know when tickets go on sale. I may or may not be skating.
Running updates: not much to report, since I’m not really running these days.
- I skipped a 5K last weekend due to my tailbone issues/lack of training.
- I’m signed up for the Run 4 Raley August 7. I should probably do some training so I don’t have a repeat of my last 5K debacle.
Life updates: you know, the stuff that *isn’t* running or derby
- I was without a washing machine for a week and a half. Mine broke and it took a while to get a new one. We got a top loader w/o an agitator. It makes weird noises, but at least I can wash my clothes. Too bad the laundry *still* isn’t caught up.
- Our Annual girls’ boat trip was a couple weekends ago. I took exactly one picture, which isn’t postable.
- Kim’s wedding was this past weekend. She looked amazing. It was a super fun time. I have *slightly* more pictures of this event. I’m not my usual camera-happy self these days.
- There’s a reason work is called “work.” I’ll leave it at that.
- I’m going to SoIL this weekend to visit my brother, sister-in-law, and niece. It’s been waaayyy too long since I’ve seen them.
- Maybe I’ll take a book. I think I’ve finished TWO books all year. I’m sadly behind on my reading.
- As you’ve probably noticed, I’m not blogging much these days. I’d make a bunch of excuses, but the truth is– I don’t really enjoy it anymore. I feel like there are plenty of other ways to track what I’m doing and the blog seems redundant.
- However, I’ve referred to blog posts REGULARLY to remember what I’ve done. So maybe I’ll continue posting “big” events.
- Or maybe not.
This is what I’ve been up to:
I had a pretty stellar week of running: I re-vamped my running schedule to fit with my derby schedule and I actually ENJOYED a treadmill workout for once. And then I fell off the wagon. I skipped my FIRST long run this weekend and felt so guilty about it that I took a rest day yesterday. FAIL. I’m halfway through my schedule so I guess it was bound to happen eventually. But I’m *not* happy about it. I gotta get back in the saddle today.
I’m 3 practices in and I L-O-V-E it. On Sat we got to practice hits, which was super fun. And we saw a mock “bout,” which was interesting. We’re going to a REAL bout this weekend and I can’t wait to see it in action. I still haven’t officially committed to a name yet. And, no, we don’t have any of our own bouts scheduled. It will be a while, but you can rest assured that I’ll let everyone know!
We’re currently in the process of planning the first annual Rounds 4 Ryann golf outing to benefit the Ryann Hope Foundation and CDH research. (you can read more about Ryann’s story here and my efforts to raise money here, and here). I got my first hole sponsor today, but we are still looking for people to sponsor holes and/or donate items for the silent auction or goodie bags. If you or anyone you know is interested, drop me a line at cari [underscore] rich [at] yahoo [dot] com. Don’t worry– I’ll be bugging you all with info on golfing, volunteering, raffles, etc. in the near future :)
Tons of Fun
The last few weeks have been jam-packed with fun. I went to see Keller Williams with my BFF Lesley a few weeks ago. I played my first REAL game of poker on Superbowl Sunday (and came in 5th… not too shabby for a rookie). Last weekend I had a much-needed “date night” with my girls. We went to see Valentine’s Day then had dinner, drinks, and lots of laughs afterwards. It’s been forever since we’ve all been together and it was waayyy overdue. Then I had a REAL Valentine’s date followed by a day off of work–what more could a girl ask for??
That’s pretty much it in a nutshell… You’re now all up to speed on my uber-fascinating existence.
|LIKES . . .
DISLIKES . . .
|Modern Family, Better Off Ted, The Big Bang Theory
||American Idol, Jersey Shore, Grey’s Anatomy*
|Being home to make dinner every night
||Working out at 5 a.m., cleaning up from dinner
|My Real Friends
|Working out at the gym—yes, even the treadmill!
||Being sore from working out 4 days in a row
|Sporcle, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud, Scramble
||Facebook “games,” Xbox 360 shoot-em-up games
|My incredibly unfashionable snow boots, striped purple cardigan, oversized hoodies, and wooly red socks
||Just about every other item of clothing in my closet
|Warmer weather, no snow
||Rain (and corresponding headaches)
*to be fair, I’ve only watched 1-2 episodes of each of these shows… but enough to know I don’t get what the fuss is about!
Posted in blogging, exercise, friends, lists, Random, running, work, writing
Tagged dislikes, exercise, facebook, fashion, friends, games, likes, Random, writing
I had planned on breaking this into two separate posts, but time got away from me. Here’s what I’ve been up to the last 12 months:
- 30 days of 30
- First ski/snowboard trip
- Neil Clennon Reffett was born
- Work trip to San Francisco (two posts… here and here)
yep, that's a CRUISE ship on the right
Clennon and I post-race
The girls of Hewett 6 (minus Jo)
- Ohio for Reds/Cubs game
- Ryan Joseph Lingas was born
- Started the Great Paint Project
Self-portrait attempt #2. This pic is horrible, but I LOVE it 'cuz it's so real!
- Infamous Rural King incident
- Cubs/Cardinals game
- Stephanie’s bachelorette party
- Hayden Michael Bates was born
Highlight of the trip: Getting up on waterskiis for the first time!
the entire bridal party!
- 4th 5K
- Surprise birthday tailgate
The bigger the hair, the closer to God
- Kim’s surprise birthday party
- Christmas with my dad’s side
- Oak Ridge Boys concert
- First Christmas with my new niece
- CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!
Birthday girl doing shots
My 92 year old Grannie and my newborn GREAT niece
In addition, there were countless nights out, NUMEROUS trips to Chicago and plenty of downtime. All in all it was a pretty good year. I can’t wait to see what 2010 has in store for me.
Posted in blogging, drink, drinking, exercise, family, food, House stuff, memories, Random, restaurants, running, travel, work, writing
Tagged 2009, recap, year in review
Wow… “long time, no blog” seems a bit cliché, but well… I’ve been busy. I’m not sure what all I’ve been doing, but here are a few highlights.
Over the last few weeks, I
- had happy hour with my work peeps. And then celebrated a friend’s 30th birthday… with house guests!
- became an aunt. Ryan and Jo don’t want her pictures plastered all over the Internet, but I can say with certainty that she’s absolutely the most perfect baby girl ever. Yes, I’m biased.
- had my car in the shop waaaayyy more than I would’ve liked. I’m not 100% sure it’s fixed yet.
- celebrated Christmas with my dad’s side of the family, which included meeting my great niece for the first time.
- made my first successful batch of “murdah bars”– chocolate chip/peanut butter/cookie perfection
- helped a friend celebrate her 29th birthday (for the 3rd time) with a surprise party
- celebrated the holidays with my book group
- attempted to re-create a pear/bacon/goat cheese recipe, without said recipe. Limited success.
- attended my official company Christmas party… and unofficial bar crawl
- ran a few times… but not as much as I should have. I missed this weekend’s long run. Next weekend isn’t looking good, either.
- got hit on at the gym for the first time. He actually used the “you come here often?” line.
- took a whirlwind trip to Chicago, which involved me riding in the backseat underneath an area rug
- made an unsuccessful batch of Ramen noodles. Yes, I messed up Ramen!
So, now you’re all caught up. Christmas week is upon us and I still have presents to buy and wrap and a houseful of stuff to put away. I have a couple year-end posts planned and then I’m going to re-think my blog a bit.
A big THANK YOU and Merry Christmas for those of you who have kept up with me over the last year… It’s always nice to know there’s an audience out there reading my random ramblings.
- Ignorance is Bliss
I downloaded a running ap* for my phone to keep track of time, distance, pace, etc. I thought I needed it so I can work on my pacing. Turns out I was checking it every 2.3 seconds and, therefore, never got into the “zone.” It was kinda like my first 5K where I felt like I used up too much mental energy to enjoy it.
- Knowledge is Power
However, the ap confirmed what I already knew: my pace is all over the place (rhyme time!). I was running anywhere from 8:30 min/mile to almost 15. Yes, almost 15… I can walk that (and did last night). Maybe periodic pace checks are more reasonable.
- Armband is necessary
Definitely going to need to invest in an armband if I decide to continue running with my phone. Tonight I carried my phone in my hand and had my iPod on my hip (as usual… classy, I know!). Although my pink iPod and my pink iPhone were color coordinated, it wasn’t comfortable to run with the phone in my hand. And I kept turning on and off the “map” function. Plus, maybe having it on my arm will keep me from peaking too much.
- There’s no such thing as an “easy” run when you have a belly full of junk
I usually run in the mornings on an empty stomach. Today, I chose to sleep in and I ran after work. It has been perfect weather here and I only had a 2 miler on the schedule, so I was excited for a nice, relaxing run. Unfortunately, I filled up on junk all day today and I could feel it while I was running. Must.Eat.Healthier. Maybe if I tell myself that losing 10 lbs will help my running, I’ll actually do it. We’ll see.
All in all it was a pretty crappy run, but I get to put a check in the “done” column… plus, I got a blog post* out of it!
* for you runners/walkers/iphone junkies out there– i’m looking for ap recommendations!
**anyone notice that as soon as I said I was “over” blogging, I started posting more often. figures.
In case you didn’t get the memo, I got an iPhone tonight and I’m having tons o’ fun playing around with it, downloadding apps, etc.- including the wordpress app I’m currently using.
Oh, and I got DVR too. I’m sooooo 21st century!